Monday 11 August 2014

Cardiff in the Rain

I visited Roath Park during one weekend in the run-up to the final deadline of second year. It was a much needed change of scenery! For those of you who have never been, the place is beautiful. You stand on a pier-like walkway at one end of the lake and look out as it seems to stretch on up to the hills in the distance.

The view from the pier across the lake.

It was overcast and drizzly but I was still determined to least snap some photographs. Sitting on one of the benches on the pier, with my bottom getting very soggy, I began to draw.

The clocktower.

An old boathouse at the side of the lake. Seagulls were using the roof as a gathering place.


I had been sitting drawing on the bench getting wetter and colder for about twenty minutes before the light drizzle decided to turn to fat raindrops. I could see the rain coming towards me as the weather front moved across the lake disturbing the water with ripples so I had some small warning to get my umbrella up and protect my sketchbook.

Deciding that this was as good a time as any, I started walking around the lake to find some shelter and do some more drawing from different vantage points. I spied a house that looked like a castle when I was about half way around.



By the time I finished the above drawing, despite the umbrella, I was soaked from head to toe, such was the weather. I finished my cycle of the lake, taking a few more photographs before returning home to a nice cup of tea and dry socks.

View of the Clocktower through the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment